Skip to main content

Forty-Two Days



22 August 2026, around 7 p.m., I was sitting in my hostel room, a tiara on my head, looking into the mirror.

Was I happy? Yes.

Was I happy because of the tiara? Also yes.

But was I happy just because of the tiara? No.

It was more than that.

When the whole Freshers' Week thing had begun, I had absolutely no interest in participating. I was more excited about all the tasks and pending work I would finally get done once the week ended, especially since half the batch was going home for Rakhi. I had already planned to glue myself to a library chair. As I wasn't going home, that seemed like the obvious choice. Although, if not the library, what is my favourite place on this campus? I am yet to figure that one out. Coming back to the tiara, I was awarded the Miss Freshers title that evening. But more than the title, I was happy because of what it represented. The acceptance. The validation. The belief it gave me about something I hadn't realised I was questioning. Usually, people wonder, Am I enough? Am I doing this right? My concern has always been slightly different. What if I am not fitting in because I am too much into it? How does one learn to be less ambitious? Less invested? Less of themselves? Isn't being yourself the very first thing parents, seniors, and practically everyone else advises when you walk into a new place? After spending exactly 42 days on this campus, I have started liking the rain in this city. I have started appreciating the food. I am still in denial about its cold coffee, but I am convinced I will come around eventually. Walking alone through the trees does not feel lonely anymore. It gives me space to think. To think about why I am here. And I am glad my life is moving forward. I know the direction I want to head in. I haven't sketched the exact route yet, but the last page of my diary finally has some scribbles on it. They will turn into something eventually.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The hail in April

Why would it suddenly rain now? The first thought, the mangos are gonna get ruined, the next thought, why now? Suddenly, we start digging into the reasons and reading geography and weather articles. Suddenly, the easterlies and westerlies from the 9 th std textbook sound important again, suddenly the hot currents and cold currents seem interesting, suddenly the Arabian Sea and the Mediterranean seem like your long-forgotten relatives. You are there to meet them bcoz something unfamiliar has occurred, something out of context, something unexpected….. Now it would be quite boring to connect this directly to life, but still, I would. Why? Because I like to! Why hail in April is what we question when there are uncertainties in our lives. These are nothing but the externalities we never thought would come to meet us on our way to a beautiful, awaited summer. You were preparing to buy a new suncoat, but now you had to pull out the umbrella from the top shelf. Life gives us certain tasks...
  IIM THE DREAM WHAT IF YOU DONT WANT THAT ?